cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Haul <h...@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: Accessing cache validities from flow
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:51:29 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Now, the way the event cache works is like this:
>
>  a) a cache validity is generated
>  b) pipeline is executed
>  c) result is stored in the cache
>
> then the pipeline is never called, until an event is triggered
> externally (from an avalon component) that invalidates that particular
> cache entity.
>
> Now, the problem is: if I am not the one who generates the validity (in
> linotype, it's the directory generator), how can I invalidate it? how
> can I have access to it?

Not sure if I understand correctly,  so bear with me if this doesn't
answer the question at hand.

The cache component that is event aware can easily be obtained through
the component manager. The event name could be set explicitly or
determined by convention. In the event cache block there is a
EventCacheGenerator that can wrap any other generator to make it produce
compliant validities.

The CacheEventAction does exactly that to invalidate a cache.

Of course you could do the same directly from flow.

The next level is the JMS block. Here, a JMS listener component does the
actual invalidating. Hence, any JMS publisher can cause a cache to
invalidate. A simpler way is of course to do it through a URL that
causes a cache to invalidate.

Still, there is a problem to solve: Which is the right point for the
decision to use the cache? Will the pipeline be assembled and all
components have their setup method called or is the validity checked
first? Should actions and selectors execute? (probably yes because a
different set of components could make up the pipeline) Should setup()
be called? (probably no)

	Chris.