cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <>
Subject Re: [RT] Converging the repository concept in cocoon
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2003 23:40:40 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> On 5 Dec 2003, at 02:17, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>> I looked into the repository block and I find a *lot* of things
>>> (locking, permissions, properties) that look very much like a
>>> duplication of effort. The Slide project spent years optimizing and
>>> polishing issues like transactionality and locking, do you really
>>> want to implement a layer to "emulate" those things in case the given
>>> source is not capable of handling it itself?
>> I have a basic question: When you talk about a
>> "repository", does this imply that operations on
>> ressources are transactional, or is this an optional
>> feature?
> That's up to us to define what level of transactionality we
> want/need/able-to-implement-shortly.
> For me, now, transactionality is not that important, but it would be a
> good thing to have (for example, making the saving of one document that
> contains images an atomic thing)

I think for Lenya it is quite important. As soon as we enter a
multi-user environment where several "documents" are being modified
within a single transaction, things can become very tricky without the
actual support of transactions.

I hope I will find more time to really join this thread. On the other
hand I think things are heading into the right direction.

I am currently preparing some thoughts about introspection and workflow
instances, but I need some more time to write it down. But it should be
ready before X'Mas.

Anyway, I am going to fix the rest of these "michi"s now within Lenya.

> --
> Stefano.

Michael Wechner