cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Thor Heinrichs-Wolpert <t...@lunartek.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Mac Laptops
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2003 03:25:55 GMT

On 7-Dec-03, at 7:00 PM, Antonio Gallardo wrote:
<snip</snip>

I'm glad you like your Linux based laptop, the fellow asked if we liked
our OSX boxes ... which we do.

But for the record I never stop my OSX laptop, so I don't have to
restart, (okay for your 1 minute).  Then I don't have to restart my
database, app server, IDE, open files, ssh tunnels, etc., etc., etc.

My clients are mostly M$ based and I have to work with them, so dual
booting as you suggest would be more like a 30 minute switch ... which
I'd have to do several times a day, not just when I show up ... but
while working on Code, then reviewing docs in Word etc.  I have run
Linux laptops and they didn't for me due to those reasons already
stated.

So for me it is a better fit, for you Linux is a good fit.

For me my Intel laptops have always cost close to what my current OSX
laptop cost, by the time I get all of the RAM, decent drive size,
external connections like Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, FIrewire, etc.  So each
person has a different ROI based upon the work that they do.

For the fellow that asked ... he can use the info provided by both
sides in determining his own path.

Cheers,
Thor HW