cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>
Subject Re: Speeding up Cocoon start at runtime?
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2003 09:40:01 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz dijo:
> Le Samedi, 20 déc 2003, à 09:59 Europe/Zurich, Antonio Gallardo a écrit
> :
>
>> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/jar/jar.html#JAR%20Index
>
> Sounds interesting, and as it is based on an extra file in jars (IIUC)
> I don't see how it could cause any harm.
>
> Did you do any measurements with and without this feature?

No. But I think it would help us. As we know disk access is 1000s times
slower than memory access so I think it would help a little bit. I will
commit the change and if this is not good, we can go back.

is this OK?

I did it with my own jars, even in Druid I turned it on for jar generation
of the beans. As it posted in the docs, the file is small. For example: I
have 74 beans and the index.lst is just 71 bytes long. The file internal
is:

<index.lst>
JarIndex-Version: 1.0

database.jar
ni/com/test/bean
ni/com/test
ni/com
ni
</index.lst>

I agree with you: it cannot hurt us in anyway.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallard