cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Timothy Larson <timlarsonw...@yahoo.com>
Subject [cforms] Should I commit the class, new, struct, union changes yet?
Date Wed, 24 Dec 2003 21:46:25 GMT
I have a huge commit pending that adds the class, new,
struct, and union concepts to the CForms binding, model,
and template implementation.  At this point there are
still a few issues to work out, but I do not see any
regressions in it that would affect forms that do not use
the new features.  The new features all work, and the
included sample (still primitive) form development GUI
is also working except for the save side of its binding
because of some JXPath issues.

Please read the following list of issues and then express
your opinion of whether I should commit the code now or
post the updated patch on the wiki or in the bug database.
In this case, I lean toward committing first to allow for
easier discussion afterwords.

Interface changes:
There are a few assorted new interfaces and a few additions
to existing interfaces.  These will need to be discussed
and possibly changed or reverted, but I think this will be
easier to do if we just go ahead and commit the code so
everyone can get a feel for how it all works.

Class/New resolution:
This currently works, but I am still experimenting to find
the best code layout, lookup, and caching strategies to apply.

Premature validation:
Union case value lookup causes early validation of the
widget containing the case value.

Inefficient code:
Still (at least) one instance where we climb the widget
or widget definition tree because if a deficient caching
strategy.  Also, the template transformer still has some
of the inefficiencies that Bruno pointed out.  I believe
these can all be worked out, but in the mean time I made
it so the old and the new transformers can live together
in the source code.  It just takes one "extends" change
to switch between them.  By the way, there are aspects
of the new transformer that should be faster than the
current on, such as hash lookups of template names in
place of linear searches with string comparisons.

CForms-specific binding issues:
Added an experimental new repeater binding to give more
flexibility in binding to XML documents.  When its issues
are worked out we can decide where to put it or where to
merge the code or ideas.
The <wb:insert-node/> binding currently only registers a
factory. Either it should actually insert a node or we
should create another binding element to do so.  The lack
of a true node insertion binding hurts a use case within
the sample form development GUI.

JXPath bugs affecting binding:
These bugs currently break the sample form development GUI.
Cannot create <prefix:localname><prefix:localname></...></...>
if the prefixes match.
The already-reported-bug about elements not being created
automatically for paths to attributes.

WDYT?
--Tim Larson