cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsber...@stjude.org>
Subject Forced pruning of continuations
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:21:12 GMT
New question on the design/capabilities of flow:

We've got a data entry system with literally 1000's of forms that the
users can jump to at any time, (they have a large system of collapsible
menus that they choose various screens from.)  Since each of these
screens is potentially going to be used for data entry at any given
point it has to be sent to the user with SendPageAndWait so that we can
examine it and repost it if it is invalid or call the appropriate
business logic if it is valid.  However, many times the users do not do
any data entry, they simply look at the screen and then go on to another
screen (they may be just confirming data is already entered or they may
be doing an audit or looking for a bunch of test values or whatever).
This is fine, except as I understand it this is going to leave the
continuation dangling within Cocoon.  We can't set a short expiry time
for the continuations since many of these forms are long and complex and
can take a long time to fill out (some psych evals apparently take over
30 minutes).  Given some of our usage patterns (examine dozens of
screens looking for data patterns) I think this could result in a lot of
continuations accumulating and potentially cause memory and/or
performance issues?

So, the question is, if we know the user has jumped to a new screen
(with a different flow from the last screen) is there any way we can
force all the outstanding continuations for a given user to be
discarded?  We wouldn't always do this, but for much of our work flow we
are in a position to know that we can do this...

Peter Hunsberger