cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsber...@stjude.org>
Subject RE: [heads up!] JClark does it again!
Date Wed, 24 Dec 2003 15:40:04 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org>:

> On 23 Dec 2003, at 18:32, Andrew Savory wrote:
>
> > On 24 Dec 2003, at 01:53, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> >> We are escaping the gravitational attraction of XMLSchema.. slowy,
> >> but we are.
> >
> > To a "published" standard that you have to pay for? No thanks!
>
> So, let's see, you would much rather have all your CD burner vendors
> come up with their own specification on how to burn CDs much
> like DVDs
> did? or wait, you want a non-ISO way to encode dates? or to encode
> charsets? or country code and names?
>
> should I continue?
>
> Yes, ISO documents are payware. Did this prevent people from
> implementing a ISO-9660 file system driver to read CD-ROMs?

<snip/>

There's been a fair amount of discussion about this on xml-dev.  As far
as I understand it (and my understanding is rudimentary at best) you
only have to pay if you are redistributing licensed material, not to use
the standards themselves. For example, you can embed ISO country codes
in a program without incurring costs, but if you provide a way for the
end user to export and reuse the country codes a license cost would be
incurred.