cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <>
Subject RE: Accessing cache validities from flow
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:09:43 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi <> writes:
> After lots of thinking, I came to the conclusion that the only way of
> doing serious caching is using the "inverted cache" approach,
> which is
> prototyped in the "eventcache" block.

Well, I don't know if it's the only way, but for anything driven out of
a dynamically updated back end it seems necessary to me...

> Now, the problem is: if I am not the one who generates the
> validity (in
> linotype, it's the directory generator), how can I invalidate it? how
> can I have access to it?

We use data classes that generate the keys for the generators and
whoever else needs them.  Each data class used by a generator has a way
of getting a key string that is unique to the business logic
requirements of that type of data.  If you're updating the data you can
call that method to find out what needs to be invalidated.
> I'm starting to think that the cocoon cache needs a serious
> redesign to
> deal with these issues... and this scares me :-( but it's *waay* too
> important to let go.
> Thoughts?

You may recall I've been pushing for this for a year or so now...  Our
needs are perhaps a little orthogonal to the average Cocoon user (or
just extreme), but this gets back to the discussion on push-pull parsers
and having a single normalized repository for all cache items.  Lots of
discussion on this in the past; no forward movement here (I'm finally
getting to bringing 2.1.3 up) but I may have some time to try and
discuss more.

View raw message