cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Doco needs landing (Was: cvs commit: cocoon-2.1 features.xml)
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 07:26:05 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> On 28 Nov 2003, at 03:46, David Crossley wrote:
>> Mmmm, i am not sure that i like this approach. "Doco" sounds
>> to me like one of the reasons that "Forrest" was started.
>
> that's right, but forrest took a different path and now focuses on
> static generation of web sites, full blown content management is not at
> reach there anymore.

Although we have currently decided to focus on the final generation step
(not only CLI, but still the last presentation step), of course it does
not mean that Doco could not be a part of Forrest.

I mean *could* not *should*.

ATM Doco is so virtual that I cannot say anything about it.

>> What is worrying is that this one-person thing (though i trust
>> Stefano to know what to do) will have no community to land in
>> and Apache will spawn yet another new project.

Well, Doco ahould be a glue that it to put together different projects
in a coherent vision. We have Slide (backend), Lenya (CMS), Forrest
(presentation).

Look at the Forrest community now. Do you think we are ready and willing
to lead such a design? Speaking for me, not now, I still have lots of
work to do on what Forrest does now.

To be honest, Stefano has already told us about it and already got
feedback from all these projects, so in fact he is already working with
our ACK. Furthermore, there is no decision yet about where to place it,
or even if it will ever be something autonomous.

What I don't really understand is that he is not using a public Apache
repository, like the Cocoon scratchpad, to do it. At least we could have
watched it grow, and he would have not been "slowed" with "community" as
he now likes to say ;-) In any case, he's free to do so if he wishes,
and we will see what to do when this thing will land here.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -