cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Refactoring woody styling (was Re: Woody Rant)
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:11:00 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

<snip/>

> Of course. But as I pointed out the current solution is not really
> cross-browser, but only works for many browsers at the moment because
> they are backwards compatible. I don't know if you heard of it, but at
> the time Apple chose Konqueror as the base of Safari they said it was
> because of the FAT gecko engine. And why is it fat? Because they added
> backward compatibility here and there. But otherwise gecko browsers as
> Mozilla were not accepted. But we with our new Cocoon forms framework
> should not rely on browser backward compatibility, but exhaust their
> new features as far as possible and appropriate.
>
>> What do you think?
>

> Agreement in general :-)

Cool. I understand your concern now, which is about standards compliance
instead of old (dead?) browser support.

I totally agree with you. But being a relative newbie on the client
side, I picked up here and there what seemed interesting to me to
fulfill the features I needed for my current project.

Let's consider this as a prototype of the wanted styling features and
work now on a cleaner solution. And the nice XUL things you've done at
Virbus certainly make you, as we've just seen, a good candidate as a
standards-conformance checker ;-)

Sylvain