cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DOM Protocol, Was: Revised ResourceLoadAction posted...
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:27:12 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> danielf@nada.kth.se wrote:
>
>> If I extend it to handle request / session / application context,
>> which seem like a good idea, what syntax would be reasonable?
>>
>> dom:/[request,session,context]/attribute-name/xpath
>>
>> or maybe one should be a little bit more specific:
>>
>> dom:/[request-attribute,session-attribute,context-attribute]/attribute-name/xpath

> request-attribute is too verbose for my taste...
>

>> One could also have some kind of sub-protocols for choosing how the
>> write
>> operation should be performed:
>>
>> dom:write:/...
>>

> Write sub protocol is not needed, AFAIU.
>

>> dom:insert:/...
>>

> If node specified by the xpath does not exist, it will be created on
> write; otherwise -- replaced. If you want to insert after specific
> node... Yes, this will require some kind of indication... What other
> options exist except using sub-protocol?
>

>> WDYT?
>>

> My initial though was to have following syntax:
>
>    dom:[request|session|context]:<attribute-name>#<jxpath>
>
> Xpath, and '#' symbol is obviously optional, and '#' was chosen for
> consistency with existing xmldb: protocol.

Just some thoughts:
- why "dom" only? We should also allow XMLizable objects.
- what about using input modules? We already have some modules that give
access to all the above-mentioned attributes and more. This avoids code
duplication, improves consistency and allows further extension by simply
adding new input-modules.

Considering this, we should find another name for the protocol:
"input-module" (too long), "module" (not significant enough),
"xml-module" (better)?

And then the protocol syntax becomes:
  xml-module:<module-name>:<attribute-name>#<jxpath>

E.g. "xml-module:session-attr:purchase-order#item[1]"

WDYT?

Sylvain