cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Bastardized URL protocol (Re: [RT] ComponentizedProcessor)
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:04:26 GMT
(changing the subject also in this branch of the thread to distinguish
from other ComponentizedProcessor issues)

Berin Loritsch wrote:

<snip/>

>> Wild idea: context:/ identifies the current context, context://
>> identifies the root sitemap? Like in cocoon: protocol?
>

> >*shudder*<
>
> PLEASE, read this rant.
>
> I think it is an abuse of the the URL protocol to specify different
> semantics for one slash verses two.  You are opening the door to
> introducing more errors than this "cool" feature solves.  Please make
> relative URLs very different from absolute URLs.
>
> The way relative URLs work according to the spec is to simply have the
> portion of the URL that you want to tack on to the end.  For instance,
> foo/bar/baz.xml would be tacked on to
> context://path/to/current/context/ and create the full URL.
>
> The key here is to be able to specify the base URL for resolving URIs.
> By default we are still using the file:// URL protocol as our base
> URL.  Perhaps that should change?
>
> Bastardized URL specs will be the source of many user requests saying...
>
> Question:
> I have the XYZ resource set up in my sitemap, and it is where I told
> it to be.  How come the sitemap can't find it?
>
> Answer:
> Oh, you are missing a slash from the context:/ URL.  Add that in and
> it should work.
>
> THink about it carefully.

So since we _need_ to be able to specify URLs relative to the current
sitemap, what do you suggest? A subprotocol like what we have for
"cocoon:raw", another protocol like "current-sitemap:"?

Just like Bruno, I'm happy with the "cocoon:/" and "cocoon://" we have
today. Moreover, I have not seen any of the people to which I explained
this behaviour complaining about URL syntax abuse.

Also, I'm not following cocoon-users closely enough, but does this Q&A
you describe above come often about the "cocoon:" protocol?

Sylvain