cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Woody Multiforms, Re: Best way to edit XML file using Cocoon?
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:23:29 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> ... edit complex XML documents stored in BLOBs, and provide an
>> advanced GUI that totally hides the fact that it's an XML file.
>>
>> The document is loaded in a flowscript global variable (i.e. tied to
>> the session), and lots of woody forms modify their respective parts
>> of this document. When finished, the user clicks a save button and
>> the document is stored in database.
>

> Here comes a question: What's the advantage of lots of forms (with
> lots of bindings, lots of templates) comparing to just one form, and
> one binding, and lots of templates? :)

This is not possible when you have repetitive structures in the XML
document, as you use the same form on the various instances of these
structures (e.g. on description[1], description[2], etc).

Also, a woody form won't validate if some required fiels are not filled,
even if not shown in the template.

And finally, I'm not sure that managing a single thousand lines long
form definition is a good thing from the project organization point of
view ;-)

Ah, and about binding: we write it in the form definitions and not in
separate files (see def2binding.xsl). This removes 1/3 of the files ;-)

> I found out that the only place forbidding this is readFromRequest()
> method which cleans up value in form when it's not present in request,
> and thus, you can't use one form with partial templates. Would it be
> ok (wise/sane/etc) to add request parameters like
> getFullyQualifiedName() + ".present" to indicate presense of the
> widget on the form, and act accordingly?

Or check for getParameter(getFullyQualifiedName()) != null ?

Sylvain