cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Respecting the CLI
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2003 14:50:25 GMT
Upayavira wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>> Then add a test run target to the ant buildfine and make sure Gump
>> runs it daily.
>
> That's the thing. Write a test target...
>
> What shape would a CLI test target take?

IMHO the first easy thing to do is to rely on Forrest, that uses Cocoon
in a sufficiently complex way.

What is needed is a test site that is complex enough, and have Forrest
run on it. If the build fails, it may mean that it's Forrest's fault or
Cocoon's, but the important thing is knowing that there is an error.

Then, if the Forrest build succedes, the ant build can do other checks
like the size of the files (>0), check that the files are actually there
and not more and not less than defined, etc.

This is the functional test part, which is only part of the picture, and
is to be done in Forrest. BTW, this makes it possible for us to gather
statistics about Cocoon speed.

Then we have the unit test part, that is about testing the functionality
of the CLI "unit", mainly of it's methods.

What I am doing now in my projects is to not try to devise clever tests
from the start. Most tests that people write are of no use, or at least
cost more to write than to fix the eventual bug later. IMHO writing
tests is like writing code, and as I now try to KISS code, I want to
KISS tests.

So actually I go the other way round current practice: I write only the
tests that I know I need, not more.

Since you don't know what tests to write, simply to set up a functional
test run, a simple CLI testcase, and check that they run on Gump. Then,
each time a problem occurs or each time you see that you are defining a
spec or contract that is not enforced in code, or that has to remain
enforced, write this down in the testcase that is already there.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -