cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Woody] wd:help
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2003 15:33:24 GMT
Bruno Dumon wrote:

>On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 15:44, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>>

>>>Dear All,
>>>
>>>Correct me if I am wrong, but it does not appear that the <wd:help/> tag
of the <wd:widget/> is supported by the 'woody-field-styling.xsl', except for when it
is used inside a <wd:group/>.

>>>Would anyone object to me adding this?
>>>

>>Certainly not! Do it, do it ;-)
>>

>>>I was thinking of adding handling for this to the 'woody-field-common' template,
by adding a '?' that is linked to a javascript alert containing the text of the <wd:help/>,
that sits just after the field, like the required '*".

>>>Alternatively, it could be done with a <div> popup.
>>>

>>I would prefer this solution which would allow for markup in help, and the CalendarPopup.js
in Woody [1] already contains a library for this to build the popups [2].

>>Having a "?" IMO makes the page look "heavier", and I was thinking of placing a "help
mode switch" in the pages. This switch (analogous to the one that appears in the title bar
of some dialog on Windows) would change the mouse cursor to a "?" and display the associated
help (if any) associated to clicked elements.

>I'm not sure about this from a usability point of view.

I find this quite convenient on Windows, and Mac has (or used to have -
dunno in MacOS X) the equivalent with help balloons.

>> How hard would this be to do?
>>
>>[1] http://www.mattkruse.com/javascript/calendarpopup/
>>[2] http://www.mattkruse.com/javascript/popupwindow/
>>

>Another alternative would be to use the label of the widget as trigger to show the help.

Do you mean that clicking on the label would show the help? Normally,
clicking on a label gives focus to the associated input widget. And what
about label-less widgets such as buttons?

>Currently the wt:widget-label tag only outputs the content of the label of the widget,
without any tag around it telling it is the label. I'm thinking we should maybe replace that
with a wt:widget-displaydata which would effectively insert a wi:displaydata containg the
label & help (&hotkey in the future), so that the XSL can react on that and put the
label inside a <label> tag

Hehe, exactly my thoughts after adding support for <label> today in
page-styling.xsl...

>and also add some javascript to show the help when you hover over it. (the label could
have a e.g. a slightly different color if it has help)

Hover is currently used for tooltips defined though <wd:hint>.

Sylvain