cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Woody] wd:help
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2003 14:44:17 GMT
Jeremy Quinn wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, but it does not appear that the <wd:help/>
> tag of the <wd:widget/> is supported by the 'woody-field-styling.xsl',
> except for when it is used inside a <wd:group/>.
>
> Would anyone object to me adding this?

Certainly not! Do it, do it ;-)

> I was thinking of adding handling for this to the 'woody-field-common'
> template, by adding a '?' that is linked to a javascript alert
> containing the text of the <wd:help/>, that sits just after the field,
> like the required '*".
>
> Alternatively, it could be done with a <div> popup.

I would prefer this solution which would allow for markup in help, and
the CalendarPopup.js in Woody [1] already contains a library for this to
build the popups [2].

Having a "?" IMO makes the page look "heavier", and I was thinking of
placing a "help mode switch" in the pages. This switch (analogous to the
one that appears in the title bar of some dialog on Windows) would
change the mouse cursor to a "?" and display the associated help (if
any) associated to clicked elements. How hard would this be to do?

[1] http://www.mattkruse.com/javascript/calendarpopup/
[2] http://www.mattkruse.com/javascript/popupwindow/