cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Groovy language for XSP [Fwd: [xml-dev] The Free World vs Microsoft Inc: A Closer Look At Groovy]
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:58:26 GMT
Christopher Oliver wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>
>> <snip/>
>>
>>> Pretty cool stuff. If they add continuations, I'm all for throwin
>>> rhino down the drain.
>>>
>>> [at least, from a community perspective, we wouldn't be basing our
>>> entire architecture on branched code of a almost-dead community
>>> hosted in a location that doesn't care about java]
>>

>> Scary statement, but unfortunately so true...
>

> I don't think that statement is true, rather I'd say it's simply FUD.
> The architecture of Cocoon is not based on Rhino. I think it has been
> shown that any language that supports continuations can quite easily
> be plugged into Cocoon. The problem is that it's hard to find such
> languages (and currently Groovy is not currently one of them). Instead
> of denigrating Rhino, why not show some appreciation for the fact that
> it does actually work. If you look at the list archives you'll see
> many postings about languages that various people feel would be better
> than Rhino (Python, Java, etc), but currently none of them actually
> work in Cocoon. If you're concerned about community support why not
> add the Rhino-with-continuations source to the Cocoon cvs. The Cocoon
> community is more than capable of maintaining it, IMO.

Chris, one more time, you misunderstand me. This is not FUD but the
simple fact that a single person has the knowledge of a critical part of
what is now a major feature of Cocoon. Furthermore, I haven't seen
anybody (and not me) denigrating Rhino.

Now I agree with you that hosting Rhino-with-continuations in Cocoon's
CVS will certainly give it more exposure and may be one of the ways to
see more people involved in it. But even with this, a JS engine still
remains something that is very different from the usual Cocoon
knowledge. And again, don't get me wrong about this: this is not a
negative judgement about Cocoon devs skills.

Sylvain, wondering about how to speak with Chris without instantly
starting a flame war.