cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dynamic woody templates?
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 10:11:24 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

>From: Sylvain Wallez
>

>>But I'm also wondering, as woody usage increases, if we will not need to write form
templates involving more and more conditional parts. And for this, JXTemplate shines. But
mixing jx-like access to the form model with wt: templates elements is likely to quickly become
unnatural. A solution could be to augment the JXTemplate syntax with new Woody-related instructions.
Taglibs for JXTemplate?

>>What do you think (again)?
>>

>I think what we need is a possibility to extand a basic JXTemplateGenerator/Transformer
to add your own syntax. Otherwise we will end in many different  TemplateGenerators/Transformers
which have to be maintained separatly. But I think you meant this with Taglibs, don't you?

Exactly. Specialized extensions are really not the way to go, or we'll
be f**ked as soon as we will want to combine them.

>Anyway, a big +1 for *one* official *extensible* templating approach in Cocoon - otherwise
we will confuse our users.

Experience has shown that the "official" template generator evolves over
time (XSP, JXTemplate, Garbage?). That's why I'd like, if we go the
taglib way, to separate as far as possible taglib definitions from the
syntactic details of the template language.

Sylvain