cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [WOODY] - New short, double and float datatypes
Date Sun, 02 Nov 2003 22:00:08 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

>Sylvain Wallez dijo:

<snip/>

>>I guess you need this for binding forms to application data?
>>
>>So yes we can, but... I've been wondering for some time how to make Woody datatypes
more tolerant regarding the target binding datatype. Defining all these new classes and the
associated converters first makes the configuration bigger and second requires the form writer
to know the  exact range of the numbers it bind to.

>>If woody datatypes were more tolerant, we could simply have a "long" and "double"
datatypes for numbers, and have them able to accept int, byte, short and float values. These
can be considered as secondary value types  whose values are accepted by a datatype along
with its native value type.

>This is a good idea. I checked the DynaBeans and (as usual) waste some time seeing here
and there.

"waste"? Mmmh... That's how we all learn. So that's not really a "waste"
of time ;-)

>So in this, I found inside the BeansUtils:
>
>http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/beanutils/api/org/apache/commons/beanutils/converters/package-summary.html
>
>I am wondering if this can save us a lot fo work. Even better with "Locale" support:
>
>http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/beanutils/api/org/apache/commons/beanutils/locale/converters/package-summary.html
>
>So I think, using this nice converters we can solution all this. As you suggested we can
define subtypes for the users and internal work jut with some few datatypes (3 - bigdecimal,
string and date).

>What you think?

It deserves an in-depth look, and a bit of time wasted ;-)

Sylvain