cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dynamic woody templates?
Date Sun, 02 Nov 2003 20:02:12 GMT
Bruno Dumon wrote:

>On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 11:09, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

<snip/>

> [...]
esql:no-results, etc) in the woody template.

>sounds good

form templates involving more and more conditional parts. And for this, JXTemplate shines.

>Contrasting this:
>

>> But mixing jx-like access to the form model with wt: templates elements is likely
to quickly become unnatural. A solution could be to augment the JXTemplate syntax with new
Woody-related instructions. Taglibs for JXTemplate?

>with this:
>

>><snip/> I agree with this, and was more or less thinking to having the woody
taglib to define the exact same tags than the transformer does, _plus_ some additional tags.

>it wouldn't change much for the user, except for not having to put the woody transformer
in the pipeline?

Exactly. And the feature set available in a JX Template taglib would be
a superset of what the transformer provides.

>I see several positive points though:
>* it would make it more obvious for the user that they can be combined
>* making a generator out of it has the advantage that the template can be precompiled
into an object model, which might make it easier to implement certain things then in SAX-streaming
mode.

>About the only disadvantage I can think of is that it forces the usage of JXTemplate.
What if we suddenly realize Garbage is much better? (haven't look at it yet).

Yep. We still haven't found the perfect template language (remember this
long thread?), which means that if we go the taglib way, we'll have to
reimplement or adapt it to the various template language experiments.

Now isn't it possible to define a common taglib interface that template
languages should be able to handle? After all, what's the fundamental
difference between them (not talking of XSP that produces code)? Isn't
it mostly syntactic sugar?

Sylvain