cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dynamic woody templates?
Date Sun, 02 Nov 2003 10:09:10 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

>Sylvain Wallez dijo:
>

>>Hi Woody'ers
>>

>Wondering about in his Australian meaning! lol.

Oops... Hope I haven't said something dirty ;-)

>>Lately, I encountered several use cases where I found that the current
>><wt:repeater-widget> we have today is not enough.
>>
>>Here are some:
>>- if the repeater is empty, the "delete selected items" should not appear underneath
>>

>Yep.
>

>>- I'm currently writing move up/move down row actions, and I don't want to display
the "up" on the first row nor the "down" on the last one
>>- when a repeater is empty, I want to display e.g. "there are currently no items"
instead of just the table headers

>This is a good idea.
>

>>The first two items can eventually be solved by having the widgets generating nothing
when some condition is verified, but the third cannot be solved without adding new information
in the form template.

>>So I was thinking to add new esql-like statements (analoguous to esql:results, esql:no-results,
etc) in the woody template.

>Yep.
>

>>What do you think?
>>

>Cool!
>

>>But I'm also wondering, as woody usage increases, if we will not need to write form
templates involving more and more conditional parts. And for this, JXTemplate shines. But
mixing jx-like access to the form model with wt: templates elements is likely to quickly become
unnatural. A solution could be to augment the JXTemplate syntax with new Woody-related instructions.
Taglibs for JXTemplate?

>>What do you think (again)?
>>

>Don't know I am not sure if is a good idea to mantain a copy of JXTemplate
>lib just for woody in another namespace. It will cause overhead.

That's not what I meant: I was suggesting to turn JXTemplate to an
expandable language to which tag libraries can be added. Just like XSP,
JSP or... the taglib transformer. I have to look deeper at this last
one, as it may be close to what I need (but I'd like to have a generator)

>I understand the idea of using just one taglib for "wt" namespace. But I think not is
a good choice for every case. I think the user that need or want to use JXTemplate, let then
use it by defining the namespace and on the same time who does not want it, then don't add
then overprocessing by checking for non existent tags.

Sorry, I don't understand clearly. Do you mean that using JXTemplate
should not be mandatory to use Woody? I agree with this, and was more or
less thinking to having the woody taglib to define the exact same tags
than the transformer does, _plus_ some additional tags.

Sylvain