cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Profiling Pipeline [was Re: [RT] Unit testing and CocoonUnit]
Date Sun, 02 Nov 2003 09:36:03 GMT

On Saturday, Nov 1, 2003, at 23:29 Europe/Rome, Steve K wrote:

> And finally, on a somewhat unrelated subject, one thing that I've
> always wanted Cocoon to do may be possible if support for collecting
> the XML at each pipeline step is added.  To aid in debugging, I think
> it would be very helpful to switch on some kind of debug mode, that
> would cause a trace of what pipeline steps where executed and the
> state of the XML at each step to be printed out at the bottom of each
> page you output to the browser.  This way it is easy for a developer
> to see the path though the pipelines the request took, as well as a
> snapshot of the XML each step of the way.

This is already there, althought somewhat hidden, check into the
"profiler" block.

BTW, there is something that always bugged me about the profiler: the
time that gives you is almost totally useless, while the exposed view
of the pipeline internals is a *great* debugging tool (some people do
it with views, but sometimes you don't know where the problem is so you
might want to see it all).

I propose two changes here:

1) rename the "profiling" pipeline into "debug"
2) remove the timings (they don't make any sense)
3) move the whole thing into core

WTYT?

--
Stefano.