cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] rollback Cocoon 2.2 and do Fortress merge later (was Re: Fortress Conversion Stalled)
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2003 22:40:59 GMT

On Monday, Nov 3, 2003, at 22:59 Europe/Rome, Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> Berin Loritsch dijo:
>> It only makes sense to roll back and start concentrating on Cocoon
>> Blocks at this time.
>>
>> I do highly recommend refactoring Cocoon bit by bit to remove ECM
>> assumptions wherever they exist so that the actual upgrade to Fortress
>> or Merlin will be much simpler.
>>
>> +1 from me.
>

> -1
>
> We cannot simply throw away the current work. Before starting we
> discused
> about the new features including the use of Fortress, etc and I think
> we
> can continue the road we made.
>
> Who said the road is easy, plain and nice? Nobody!
>
> Then who cares if 2.2 will take 2 years or more? Nobody!

Dead wrong. I believe that if cocoon doesn't get real block support in
less than 6 months, we will face somebody that will clone the cocoon
ideas and reimplement them in a much lighter version of a framework.

> . So lets
> continue. I think the new features discused for cocoon 2.2 are cool.
> Including the internals changes. Please continue.

I'm all for continuing the migration. Even better: the more hands do
the porting, the more people will know the internals, the better shape
the tree ends up being.

I think we should make a serious effort to finish this migration rather
than throw away what Berin did.

But this cannot drag along too much for the reason above.

--
Stefano.