cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] empty HTTP responses [was Re: Cannot easily set http status]
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2003 14:24:54 GMT

On Wednesday, Nov 5, 2003, at 14:20 Europe/Rome, Unico Hommes wrote:

>> From: Gianugo Rabellino [mailto:gianugo@apache.org]

>> Sorry to jump in late, I'm probably lagging behind a few
>> posts, but was the possibility of having *pipelines* send
>> empty payload considered instead? This way flow will always
>> have to sendPage(), but the result would be empty content
>> anyway. With the added bonus of having the pipeline
>> flexibility to, say, set headers.
>>

> But the function of a pipeline is specifically towards the production
> of
> an xml response body. To have to set up all the components, execute the
> pipeline and then fooling the pipeline to send its data to a null
> output
> or refrain from pipeline execution altogether? In some scenarios that
> may be necessary, for instance in the case of the http HEAD function.
> The point is, you shouldn't have to, because there are a lot of
> situations where its just unneccesary overhead. (for example all the
> dummy responses in the davmap sitemap)

I'm with Unico here: the use of HTTP in a DeltaV scenario is *massive*
and involves tons of requests/responses for even a simple operation
like moving a file. Many of these responses have no payload as the
result is contained in the response headers.

Note, this *does not* imply that you shouldn't be able to use a
pipeline to do further processing (even if it results in no payload),
but I think it should *not* be forced upon us to have a "dummy
pipeline" just to satisfy these contraints.

Different story for Reinhard's concern, I think it's a valid point:
most situations on the web handle requests that return a payload...
having a way to signal that "hey, you are missing your payload" is a
good debugging advice and we wouldn't want to loose this for those
"rare" (in comparison) payload-less responses.

So, what about

  cocoon.sendEmptyResponse(status-code)

?

--