cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Groovy language for XSP [Fwd: [xml-dev] The Free World vs Microsoft Inc: A Closer Look At Groovy]
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 10:45:22 GMT

On Monday, Nov 3, 2003, at 01:00 Europe/Rome, Ugo Cei wrote:

> [I'm crossposting to dev, since this might stimulate some comments
> from the Flowscript gurus over there.]
>
> Oleg Dulin wrote:
>> Dear Fellow Cocoon Users:
>> I just read the forwarded message on xml-dev mailing list and
>> realized that Groovy makes a perfect language for business logic
>> intermixed with XML, such as XSP pages.
>> This may also be a simpler approach to FlowScript.
>
> Groovy looks very interesting indeed. What it currently lacks WRT
> Rhino-based Javascript is continuations. The really important part of
> Cocoon's Flowscript is continuations, not the Javascript syntax. If it
> had continuations I might consider switching from JS to Groovy very
> seriously.
>
> I see there has been some discussion about continuations on their ML:
>
> http://lists.codehaus.org/pipermail/groovy-dev/2003q3/000158.html
>
> but it doesn't seem very probable that Groovy will support
> continuations any time soon, which is a pity.

Pretty cool stuff. If they add continuations, I'm all for throwin rhino
down the drain.

[at least, from a community perspective, we wouldn't be basing our
entire architecture on branched code of a almost-dead community hosted
in a location that doesn't care about java]

I'll ping James about this.

--
Stefano.