cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Unit testing and CocoonUnit
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 07:46:12 GMT
Hi Upayavira,

This looks real good, having a specialized testing framework will
certainly help improving our test traceability!

I just have one small thing to add:

> ...CocoonUnit would use the CocoonBean to pass requests to Cocoon. The
> bean would prepare an Environment (maybe even an HTTPEnvironment), and
> would place an empty ArrayList into the object model with a key of
> UNIT_TEST_XML...

Instead of an ArrayList you might want to put a custom object there
(CocoonUnitContext?), for example to allow the testing code to specify
options later on, like "don't store steps 1 and 4 of the pipeline".

> ...Conclusion
> ----------
> Unit testing helps to provide reliable code. Unit testing in a Web
> environment is not always straightforward as your 'units' aren't
> always clearly defined. With Cocoon, however, stages in a pipeline can
> be considered to be 'units', and therefore could be tested
> independently of each other. Adding a CocoonUnit to the Cocoon
> codebase would further extend Cocoon's ability to be used in
> substantial web environments where automated testing is crucial to
> success.

+1000

> What do you all think?

+1000 again!