cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Introducing IOC for Java classes created in flowscript
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:58:07 GMT
Le Jeudi, 20 nov 2003, à 17:49 Europe/Zurich, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :
> ...I don't agree with this "unfortunately": writing and installing a
> component is not an easy task for a newbie, and if it's the only
> solution we provide for calling Java code from flowscript, many will
> turn around and go away...

Just wildthinking here: I've been using BeanShell
(http://www.beanshell.org/) recently, and with it you can very easily
write scripts that implement java interfaces.

This means that BeanShell (dunno if BSF does this too) scripts could be
called from flow *and* interpreted *and* implement Avalon or Cocoon
interfaces. I haven't thought about all implications but it might be a
nice intermediate solution between limited interpreted stuff and
full-blown java coding.

> ...Sure! That's why I wrote that it "gently educates people" to
> Avalon. Once people will have implemented lifecycle interfaces, the
> next step is to declare the component in cocoon.xconf and move to the
> regular component lookup mechanism...

So maybe scripting Avalon interfaces could be a first step in this
education?

Again, just wild thoughts - fire at will ;-)

-Bertrand