cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Profiling Pipeline [was Re: [RT] Unit testing and CocoonUnit]
Date Sun, 02 Nov 2003 16:07:52 GMT

On Sunday, Nov 2, 2003, at 15:57 Europe/Rome, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Stephan Michels wrote:

>>> This is already there, althought somewhat hidden, check into the
>>> "profiler" block.
>>>
>>> BTW, there is something that always bugged me about the profiler: the
>>> time that gives you is almost totally useless,
>>>

> (IIRC) Stephan did a lot of work on how profiler counts time, and now
> it's not useless at all.

ah, didn't know that! I used it a while ago and it seemed to me that
the numbers were totally silly.

Stephan, can you explain the changes (or point me to a message that
explains it)? thanks.

> For example, I recently used profiler with different XSLT engines and
> found out that XSLTC finally became a tad faster than Saxon. Also, I
> found couple of stylesheets which were rewritten as transformers to
> gain some speed improvements.

Very cool. Then I remove my proposal.

>>> while the exposed view
>>> of the pipeline internals is a *great* debugging tool
>>>

> Never tried it (yet)! :)
>

>>> (some people do
>>> it with views, but sometimes you don't know where the problem is so
>>> you
>>> might want to see it all).
>>>
>>> I propose two changes here:
>>>
>>> 1) rename the "profiling" pipeline into "debug"
>>>

>> +1
>>

> -0. Current name suits me well.

I see, but people that look for debugging the pipeline will not find it
(since profiling is not the same as debugging).

Maybe "pipe-instrumentation"?

>>> 2) remove the timings (they don't make any sense)
>>>

>> -1, why do you think the timings are useless?! I done a lot of
>> profiling
>> with it in the past, and found for example the problem with the
>> use-store
>> paramter of the TaxTransformer.
>>

> -1, it's useful to me.

I remove my proposal after your comments above.

>>> 3) move the whole thing into core
>>>

>> -1, the core should only contain necessary components.
>>

> +1, I wouldn't mind seeing it in core. It's like instrumentation
> manager which is also in core.

which I would like to be moved away as well... maybe an
"instrumentation" block with both? I don't know. WDYT?

--
Stefano.