cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Unico Hommes" <Un...@hippo.nl>
Subject RE: [VOTE] rollback Cocoon 2.2 and do Fortress merge later (was Re: Fortress Conversion Stalled)
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 17:08:26 GMT

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Torsten Curdt wrote:
>
> > Berin Loritsch wrote:
> >
> >> It only makes sense to roll back and start concentrating on Cocoon
> >> Blocks at this time.
> >>
> >> I do highly recommend refactoring Cocoon bit by bit to remove ECM
> >> assumptions wherever they exist so that the actual upgrade to
> >> Fortress or Merlin will be much simpler.
> >>
> >> +1 from me.
> >

> > Berin, is it more the lack of time or more the tight coupling with
> > ECM?
> >
> > I was so glad to see this effort and I am wondering ...how
> much ...and
> > what is left to do? Maybe you could give a summary of what you came
> > across?
> >
> > Maybe you just need some more helping hands?

Me too, let's not give up just yet. I have a feeling that if we let this
opertunity slip we will never be able to upgrade to a newer container
and we will really be stuck on ECM. Come on let's do this.

> Here is what is left to do:
>
> * Make the TreeBuilder system work with Fortress instead of ECM.

Can you break this down? As far as I have followed the discussion there
was:

- ParentAware interface: no problem with Fortress there, we can loose
it.
- Recomposable / Reconfigurable interfaces: no solution yet, needs
refactoring.
- Support for current sitemap syntax instead of Fortress shorthand
syntax (?)
- SourceResolver: several options on the table.
- ... ?

> * Make the Main class work with the new bean.
> * Get rid of the old bean.

This should be straightforward?

> * Incorporate the meta-generation into the ANT build

I even know how to do that!

> * Test and make sure everything works.

* add more meta tags, remove more Component, ThreadSafe etc.

I also know how to do that :-)

> I have no more time, and the TreeBuilder is very tightly integrated.
>
> I think I have done the hard stuff OK (the support for
> Request Lifestyle and company).

Then it would be even more of a let down if we let this go.

-- Unico