cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Woody: managing persistence sessions
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2003 13:02:07 GMT

On Wednesday, November 5, 2003, at 12:02 PM, Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> From: Jeremy Quinn
>
>> On Tuesday, November 4, 2003, at 01:43 PM, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>
>>>    catch (break) {
>>          //   a continuation has been started
>>>    }
>>>    catch (continue) {
>>          //   a continuation has been resumed
>>>    }
>>> }
>>>
>>> IIRC catch(break) is must be used as "top-level" statement
>>
>> I think this is why they did not work before
>>
>>> (... but this is only a guess - never tried catch(continue) but
>>> catch(break)
>>> works for me.)
>>
>> They both work for me too, so does :
>>
>> catch (return) {
>> 	// the page has finished rendering
>> }
>>
>> So I have very fine-grained control over the session management :)
>>
>> What I am not sure about now, is whether the values of widgets on the
>> Form are bound to the Bean via object references, or if they are
>> independent copies.
>>
>> If they are copies, and the Bean does not get touched during the
>> SendPageAndWait/Validate cycle then all one should need to do
>> to manage
>> the HibernateSession is this:
>>
>>   . . .
>>    // get the User
>>    form.load (user);
>>    session.close();
>>    form.showForm (formURI);
>>    session = factory.createSession ();
>>    form.save (user);
>>    // save the User
>>   . . .
>>
>> If I need to make a 'browser' of 'lazy-initialised'
>> relationships then
>> I would be using JXTemplate rather than Woody, with a dynamic model,
>> and I still have enough control to manage the Session with these
>> call-back handlers. Excellent!
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>

> Cocoon Forms Widgets (aka Woody Widgets) have their own values. If you
> do "form.load(myBean)" the values are read out from the bean (-->
> copies
> - no references). If you are finished with data collecting you can
> write
> them back using "form.save(myBean)"

Thanks for the clarification.

I am really impressed with the Cocoon Forms framework!!
And the continuation-lifecycle 'catch' events work well too!!
There is one more event that some people could conceivably want ....
but I do not know if it is possible .... "The Continuation has
completed".

Many thanks guys!

regards Jeremy