cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Massimo Sonego <massimo.son...@otego.com>
Subject Re: [FYI] Longhorn presentation layer codenamed "Avalon"
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2003 09:04:41 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

>Nicola Ken Barozzi dijo:
>

>>Berin Loritsch wrote:

>>>The best we can do is make the Avalon
>>>brand be Apache Avalon, and make it clear that the cheap knock-off at
>>>Microsoft is in no way endorsed by Apache :/.
>>>

>>IMHO the worst thing about it is not the name.
>>
>>They are recreating XUL with their vocabulary,
>>

>It is INNOVATION! Write it forever: INNOVATION! They are INNOVATING XUL
>names! This is top INNOVATION! Did you don't see this? They are the TOP
>INNOVATION company in the world. :-DDDD
>

>>but worst of all, they
>>are going to use a superset of SVG for drawing!
>>

>The same game over and over. :-(
>Then I see SVG in the future with the same problems as HTML:
>
>Did you remember our Javascript Calendar and related problems to HTML
>rendering in IE, Mozilla, Safari, Opera, etc? It looks like an endless
>loop. They usually try to kill standards. What about XML and XSL in MS.
>They innovated the standard too? I hope Linux will soon shutdown them.
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Antonio Gallardo

That’s great ;-)

Sorry to shock you guy’s but if you see this from the positive side than
you may recognize that this could also be a great chance for Apache
Avalon and Avalon releated projects.
When MS starts to launch there marketing machine, there will be *the*
chance to but also Apache Avalon on the spotlight.
Even if MS-Avalon is not covering the same aspect of Apache Avalon a lot
of people will find there way to Apache Avalon. Finnaly if there are
Java related people they will take a closer look an found out that
Apache Avalon is great.
So rather to start complaining or worring about the technical and
standard aspect (where I agree with your point of view), just polish the
Avalon website and point the success of Apache Avalon out. I think that
Avalon has a tremendous success track, if you count the success of
Cocoon and other real live Mission Critical Project than you have to say
wow - Is MS Avalon having already this success track? I would say no it
is just marketing and some metoo strategie bla bla.
It’s a chance to a kind of relaunch of Apache Avalon there is just to
ad/write some magazin article, book etc. and the success will be ours :-).

regards

massimo

--
OTEGO AG                              Tel:    +41 (0)1 240 00 55
Massimo Sonego,                       Fax:    +41 (0)1 240 00 56