cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [FYI] Longhorn presentation layer codenamed "Avalon"
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:05:55 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> http://longhorn.msdn.microsoft.com/lhsdk/core/overviews/road_map.aspx
>
> a "presentation layer" called Avalon that uses XML as the basis? prepare
> for some nasty confusion :-/

Unfortunately what can you do?  We have been aware of this issue, and
not quite sure how to manage it.  The best we can do is make the Avalon
brand be Apache Avalon, and make it clear that the cheap knock-off at
Microsoft is in no way endorsed by Apache :/.

It's not like the ASF has really deep pockets, or that the name "Avalon"
isn't so unique as to be stepping on trademark.  There are so many software
applications/frameworks/etc. that incorporate the name "Avalon" that it
really needs to be used in some way to scope it.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin