cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <jheini...@virbus.de>
Subject Re: [OT] - About MS published schemas
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:02:57 GMT
On 19.11.2003 03:43, Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I found this interesting article about the recent MS published schemas.
> And I like to share it with the rest of the community:

What a frustrating point of view! But I fear to much will be true:

... there's plenty of room in the specification for binary data or what
Microsoft calls "arbitary schema". People forget that the X in XML is
for extensible.

As Mike Champion asked here, "What is the point of storing data in XML
if the schema is so hideous and proprietary than no one can use it
without proprietary API support? What advantages does WordML have over
the HTML-like stuff that current versions of Word generate on request?
At least you can tidy.exe the HTML-like stuff into standard XML, but
what can you do with WordML except load it into Word...unless of course
you are an XSLT uber-geek?"

Joerg