cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <>
Subject Re: Refactoring woody styling (was Re: Woody Rant)
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:30:08 GMT
On 22.11.2003 18:30, Ugo Cei wrote:

> I'm with you here. Let's face it, what people are and will be using
> Woody for is mainly HTML forms, and there's no way you can make a decent
> form-based application without *lots* of DHTML code.

But the current code is not DHTML, but document.write().

> For example, in my
> current project we have forms with hundreds of fields, and having tabs
> is a huge usability improvement. So much that for an early prototype we
> developed our own "tabs" script on top of JXForms, but as soon as I saw
> Woody's tabs I threw the prototype away and restarted from scratch.
> If there are problems with the current implementation, let's fix them
> and provide a standards-compliant DHTML-based toolkit for those who need
> it (like me ;-) ). If we want to create the best web application
> development platform in the world, we cannot provide only a server-side
> solution and tell people to do their homework on the client side. This
> isn't going to sell.

I don't want it. But we should provide standard conform default client
side code.

> Let's not just provide something for the lowest common denominator
> (a.k.a. Netscape 4.X).

> We could do a simple stylesheet for people who
> just want a plain registration form for their guestbook, but I'd
> question the appropriateness of using Woody for that, the
> FormValidatorAction would work much better.

I'm with you here and would even not add a simple stylesheet. People
adding simply a guestbook won't use Cocoon, so it's more or less useless
effort. Cocoon Forms has "higher aims" :-)

View raw message