cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [Woody] - <wd:hotkey> status?
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:42:14 GMT

Michael Hartle wrote:
> Marc Portier wrote:
>
>> <message key="prompt.name"><wi:accesskey>N</wi:accesskey>ame:</message>
>>
>> ? hm, I don't actually don't know if current i18n transformer is
>> supporting mixed content-model messages, anyone?
>>
>> also this approach would require us however to make some upfront
>> suggestions on the order of template and i18n transformer? (and thus
>> reflect that in the namespace-prefix in the message)
>>
>> biggest plus for this approach to me seems to be that you are assuring
>> that the access-key _is_ part of the label, regardless of the language?
>

> Just a wild thought, this might lead to web applications that have
> different hotkeys for the same task (or behave differently for the same
> hotkey used) depending on the language they are i18n-ed to ? Just
> imagine how difficult using the "vi" would become (in terms of
> documentation, explaining, accidential changes of i18n configuration for
> a user, etc) if all shortcuts (command "dd" => "delete a line") would
> turn out to be different in other languages, eg. German (command "lösche
> eine Zeile" => "lz" ??).

I agree, but IMHO you are talking about two different things here...

1/ accesskey: visual clues with underscores that indicate fast-access on
screens you are (maybe) seeing for the first time

2/ command-shortcuts: key-strokes that replace the need for diving
through a menu and function as some kind of macro-triggers

see, if I use MS Word in the dutch version then saving a file through
the access-keys of the menu become ALT-B-B (bestand -> bewaren) while
the nglish version has ALT-F-S (files -> save)

in both versions the shortcut CTRL-S does the same.
(just like the CTRL-X,C,V are never 'localized')

(since vi was born well before menus emerged, I would consider all of
those as of the second type)

> This would be counter-intuitive and work against "habitualization", the
> natural process of turning "compound" tasks requiring thought (which
> buttons do I have to press now for removing a line) into routine tasks
> without requiring thought - somewhat similar to what its like to learn
> driving a car. Jef Raskin has written the very interesting book "The
> Humane Interface" (ISBN: 0-201-37937-6) on this topic, well worth reading.

taking up your point however, next to the accesskey, we might think
about a @shortcut which then needs to be catched by some js-key-event
handler

however, I would think of those as being children/attributes of the form
rather then of any of the widgets (let alone their labels)

making sense?

-marc=