cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Hartle <mhar...@hartle-klug.com>
Subject Re: [Woody] - <wd:hotkey> status?
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:23:20 GMT
Marc Portier wrote:

> <message key="prompt.name"><wi:accesskey>N</wi:accesskey>ame:</message>
>
> ? hm, I don't actually don't know if current i18n transformer is
> supporting mixed content-model messages, anyone?
>
> also this approach would require us however to make some upfront
> suggestions on the order of template and i18n transformer? (and thus
> reflect that in the namespace-prefix in the message)
>
> biggest plus for this approach to me seems to be that you are assuring
> that the access-key _is_ part of the label, regardless of the language?

Just a wild thought, this might lead to web applications that have
different hotkeys for the same task (or behave differently for the same
hotkey used) depending on the language they are i18n-ed to ? Just
imagine how difficult using the "vi" would become (in terms of
documentation, explaining, accidential changes of i18n configuration for
a user, etc) if all shortcuts (command "dd" => "delete a line") would
turn out to be different in other languages, eg. German (command "lösche
eine Zeile" => "lz" ??).

This would be counter-intuitive and work against "habitualization", the
natural process of turning "compound" tasks requiring thought (which
buttons do I have to press now for removing a line) into routine tasks
without requiring thought - somewhat similar to what its like to learn
driving a car. Jef Raskin has written the very interesting book "The
Humane Interface" (ISBN: 0-201-37937-6) on this topic, well worth reading.

Best regards,

Michael Hartle,
Hartle & Klug Consulting GmbH