cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: DB support in flowscript (was: XSP "official" position)
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:33:12 GMT
Ugo Cei wrote:

> Upayavira wrote:
>
>> 1) The most complicated bit I have found in building Cocoon sites is
>> handling Java classes. If deployed in a jar, it always seems to
>> require a server/app restart to take on the changes. For trivial
>> things (e.g. sending a simple email), I wouldn't want to have to get
>> all this Java stuff going.
>
> Then you should:
>
> A) test your classes in isolation _before_ debugging them in Cocoon

Yup. Will get into doing that some day soon.

> B) get yourself a fast machine and with the "cocoon servlet" task,
> restarting the container is a breeze, especially if you tune your
> Cocoon to have only the minimum set of blocks needed.

Still a hassle to switch to another window, shut it down, wait.....,
restart, then connect your debugger to the waiting instance, then
request a page from Cocoon and wait...:-(

I'll get there.

> But then again, YMMV ;-)
>
>     Ugo
>
> P.S.: by the way, is it possible to restart a context with Jetty like
> it is with Tomcat, and how?

Do cocoon servlet-admin
and go to http://localhost:8889/
It seems you can do a standard http request to, for example
http://localhost:8889/?A=Start&ID=1:null:/:0
(note, I removed the T parameter, which changes every time, and it still
seemed to work).

I believe you could put this HTTP request into an Ant script using the
<get> task.

I wonder if there might be a need for a cocoon servlet-debug-admin that
allows both debugging and admin (e.g. to allow you to automatically
restart your jetty for debugging).

Regards, Upayavira