cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Collen <colle...@umn.edu>
Subject Re: DB support in flowscript (was: XSP "official" position)
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:25:52 GMT
Upayavira wrote:

> 1) The most complicated bit I have found in building Cocoon sites is
> handling Java classes. If deployed in a jar, it always seems to require
> a server/app restart to take on the changes. For trivial things (e.g.
> sending a simple email), I wouldn't want to have to get all this Java
> stuff going.

I agree, this is sort of a pain in the butt.

> 2) Some Cocoon users aren't Java developers. They may extend to
> Javascript, but Java will be beyond them. If simple utility classes can
> be provided that allow such things as sending emails from flow, I don't
> see the problem.

Agreed.  IMO though you will get to a level of complexity in your application where you WILL
have to
code.  Maybe it is worth investigating writing some utility scripts for little things like
this.

> 3) I can see the problem with database code in flow. Databases are
> inherently complicated and incredibly varied. There's a lot less options
> with sending an email though.

Again, I agree.  Think about what happens when you have some Flow that accesses an object,
which
commits some sort of JDO transaction.  If you call a previous continuation, you obviously
need to
rollBack().  Looks a little hairy to me.

> Regards, Upayavira

Tony