cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: DB support in flowscript (was: XSP "official" position)
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:08:00 GMT
Tony Collen wrote:

> Yep, this is the easy way.  I could see this being the answer to some
> FAQ:
>
> Q: How can I easily send an email from the Flow layer?
>
> A: The simple way is to write an XSP, and call the XSP's pipeline from
> within the Flowscript.  If you need something a little cleaner, you
> can simply write a helper class in Java and access it from your Flow
> as an object.

1) The most complicated bit I have found in building Cocoon sites is
handling Java classes. If deployed in a jar, it always seems to require
a server/app restart to take on the changes. For trivial things (e.g.
sending a simple email), I wouldn't want to have to get all this Java
stuff going.
2) Some Cocoon users aren't Java developers. They may extend to
Javascript, but Java will be beyond them. If simple utility classes can
be provided that allow such things as sending emails from flow, I don't
see the problem.
3) I can see the problem with database code in flow. Databases are
inherently complicated and incredibly varied. There's a lot less options
with sending an email though.

Regards, Upayavira