cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Collen <colle...@umn.edu>
Subject Re: DB support in flowscript (was: XSP "official" position)
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:03:32 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> If you have to implement transaction logic I think there is no way
> around Flowscript/CocoonForms/DataObjects(via O/R-mapping or EJB) in
> order to reach a clean design.
>
> I think this is the message for our users.

+100000.  Time to start spreading the gospel :)

IMO strong Flow + Forms + OJB / JDO / O/R will get Cocoon widespread acceptance.  That, and
good
documentation :)

> One further thought on DB and flowscript:
> If you want to combine the ease of use of XSP and flowscript and you
> don't want to mix concerns - why don't you call pipelines from within
> your flowscript?

Yep, this is the easy way.  I could see this being the answer to some FAQ:

Q: How can I easily send an email from the Flow layer?

A: The simple way is to write an XSP, and call the XSP's pipeline from within the Flowscript.
 If
you need something a little cleaner, you can simply write a helper class in Java and access
it from
your Flow as an object.

> Then you can do all the things XSP/ESQL offer having direct database
> access. And I don't know how it should become easier if we build a
> specif 'flow-database-framework' compared to the flexibility of Cocoon
> pipelines which are called from within the flow layer. This also means
> that you have caching (--> pipeline caching) for free.

Regards,

Tony