cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Collen <colle...@umn.edu>
Subject Re: DB support in flowscript
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:43:12 GMT
Ugo Cei wrote:
> Leszek Gawron wrote:
>
>> I'm not advising that also. I am talking about providing an easy
>> framework for
>> database operations that would be available from flow.

I had thought about this for a while... a lightweight JDBC wrapper for the Flow.

Then I thought about it more... although it might encourage people to start writing more things
in
Flowscript, I think the Correct Way(tm) would be to write your business logic in a real Java
class
and access it from the Flow that way.

Remember, the Flow is just for controlling the application.  I suppose then the question is,
what
happens when your logic depends on something in a database?

> Which kind of framework? What patterns would it implement? If you take a
> look at Martin Fowler's catalog of Enterprise Application Patterns [1],
> you'll see quite a few having to do with accessing data sources.
>
> What I'm trying to say is that there is no "right way" to implement
> this, so I'm -0.5 against providing any kind of JDBC encapsulation code
> in flowscript, like it were some kind of "best practice".

I would have to agree with this.  It's tempting to make the Flow "as easy as PHP" and just
give
everybody tons of functions to do stuff with.  The problem is if we provide too much, then
people
will just start writing EVERYTHING in the Flow, and before you know it, it's out of hand.

I guess the same would go for the use case of wanting to fire off a simple email message from
the
Flow.  But I guess if the user wants to do something that complicated, it would be trivial
for them
to just write a helper class in Java that they could access through Packages.*

Thoughts?

Tony