cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <jheini...@virbus.de>
Subject Re: Separating build system sources from Cocoon sources
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:29:04 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> Hello, folks,
>
> when trying to integrate gump2blocks.properties.xsl I came across some
> mixtures in our sources, which I would like to solve. Partly we mixed
> the sources of our build system with the Cocoon sources. In particular
> src/targets/*-build.xml and src/resources/dev/**. Those things are not
> needed for Cocoon itself and should be moved to tools/** IMO. So for
> example the blocks-build.xsl and check-jars.xsl are already in tools/src/*.

One step further: mixing tools and buildsys is also not perfect.

What about the following:

COCOON_HOME

  |- buildsys
  |   |
  |   |- bin (many ant scripts; from tools/bin)
  |   |
  |   |- ide
  |   |   |
  |   |   |- eclipse (from src/resources/dev/eclipse)
  |   |   |- emacs (from src/resources/dev/emacs)
  |   |
  |   |- lib (all buildsys libs; from tools/lib)
  |   |
  |   |- stylesheets (blocks-build.xsl, check-jars.xsl; from tools/src)
  |   |
  |   |- targets (all the build.xml's; from src/targets)
  |   |
  |   |- tasks (Manifest, Xconf; from tools/src/anttasks)
  |   |
  |   |- templates (jars.xml.template; from tools/src)

  |- tools

      |- instrumentation (as it is now)

      |- jetty (as it is now)

      |- src

          |- loader (as it is now)

          |- schematron (as it is now)

Some uncertainties:

- src/resources/dev/i18n: Should it be moved to buildsys? Should an build
target be created?

- tools/src/schematron: Is it still needed after validation has been moved
to forrest? What about jing.jar and tasks?

- tools/src/loader: Is it the correct place? From the comment in
dist-build.xml, line 144 it's used in combination with Jetty, so I guess yes.

- general: Is it overcomponentization? Maybe tools/buildsys/** is an
alternative, but IMO the directory structure is to deep then. And the
mixture of tools and buildsys is not very satisfying.

WDYT?

Joerg

--
System Development