cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@vafer.org>
Subject Re: XSP "official" position
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:27:56 GMT
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
> Interesting comments here at ApacheCon. Some users are still convinced
> that we're pushing XSP as the prominent way to build interactive stuff
> and web applications. Actually on the site there is no particular
> endorsement of XSP, but there not either a word of warning about this
> approach being "deprecated" in favor of the flow idea. I do think that
> it would be nice to put some carefully thought out phrasing on the main
> XSP page stating that, while still supported, we do think that there are
> now better alternatives for dynamic websites/applications.
>
> WDYT?

Hah... I don't think we should bring up a Flow vs. XSP discussion.
That's comparing pears with apples (not the ones in the CVS or the
one you are reading this on ;)

XSP and Flow have different concerns! XSP is a serverpage - more kind of
a view while Flow is more like a controller.

If you wanna compare you need to compare Flow vs. Actions and XSP vs.
Transformers (or other server pages / templating approaches).

But in fact it seems like XSP is being disliked by many developers.
And I have to admit: I don't really like much anymore, too. But
the question is whether it is because of the syntax or the heavy
machinery or it's maintainability.

It's very easy to come up with some quick-and-dirty pages with XSP
but if you put too much logic in it becomes a PITA. But I just don't
see how we could deprecate it ...in favor of what?

Do we really want to force or feature a certain templating approach?

my 2 cents
--
Torsten