cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Collen <colle...@umn.edu>
Subject Re: XSP "official" position
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2003 03:12:26 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Gianugo Rabellino dijo:
>
>>Interesting comments here at ApacheCon. Some users are still convinced
>>that we're pushing XSP as the prominent way to build interactive stuff
>>and web applications.
>

> Incredible enough! 8-0
> BTW, tell then they are totally outdated. :-D

Not their fault... our docs aren't the shining model of project
documentation :)  I was reading a weblog of a guy who had really hard
problems getting Cocoon up and running, and he mentioned our docs suck.
    I'm aware of this, as I'm sure everyone else here is.

Another problem is that IMO we need more articles written and published
on other sites (i.e. XML.com).  Getting some docs written up on our site
is good, but getting exposure elsewhere is crucial.

We need marketing! :)

Tony

>>Actually on the site there is no particular
>>endorsement of XSP, but there not either a word of warning about this
>>approach being "deprecated" in favor of the flow idea.

We need to figure something out with the docs, we're rapidly gaining
water in the hull and sinking fast.

<snip/>

> I think we will continue supporting XSP because Cocoon can be used as Web
> publishing framework or a Webapp framework. Also XSP is a good entry point
> for many people from the ASP, PHP world. They feels like fish in the water
> with XSP. :-D

I think XSP is an OK jumping-off-point for people wanting to write their
own custom Generators.  However, learning XSP and then learning how to
write a custom Generator is probably the same amount of work (maybe I am
wrong).

> I really no wonder why peope still think XSP is the great Gig in the
> Cocoon town, because if you google around you will feel this is the way
> Cocoon goes. To be honest I don't google about this for a long time but
> still early this year this was the tendency.

It's probably got more attention because it's a TLA and sounds like ASP
or PHP or JSP.  XSP.. X?  Cool!  "Flow" just doesn't have that catchy
ring to it.  But that is not a problem I think.

Tony