cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <>
Subject Web Service Transformers in Cocoon (Re: [article] EAI using Apache Cocoon 2.1)
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:56:25 GMT
It seem popular to write web service transformers these days. I have
written one that can be found in, after that I
implemented it I have found two other implementations: the one described
in the article:, that
can be found in,
and still another one described in The later
one is AFAIK not submitted to Cocoon and only works for Cocoon 2.0.3,
although it probably should be easy to port it to 2.1.

There is also an XSP implementation of web service calls within the
current Cocoon distribution. There are also a number of components that
provide functionality for request parameter based web services:
HttpProxyGenerator, WebServiceProxyGenerator and possibly
GenericProxyGenerator in the Proxy block as well as the CIncludeTransformer.

There is a lot of overlapping functionality in the different web service
client components in Cocoon.

IMO it would be a good idea to merge at least the different web service
transformer proposals. I would prefer to put as much functionality as
possible in the HTTPClientSource as in my proposal, as it seem to be
better to focus the functionality in one reusable place than having it
reproduced in various places. The web service enabled HTTPClientSource
can then be used from generators and transformers as well as from
flowscripts. I have not studied Tonys and Steves proposals in any
detail, but at least in Tonys variant there is some login handling that
my implementation lacks, it would be nice to transfer that functionality
to the HTTPClientSource.

For the transformer part I have no strong opinions, I put the
functionality in the SourceWritingTransformer, as it already contained
various operation on modifyable sources. But it probably makes sense to
have it in a specialized transformer instead.

What do you think?

Velle Andrè wrote:
> The article mentions a web service transformer that seems superior to the one in 2.1.3,
and states that it has been submitted to the cocoon-dev list. I haven't been able to find
anything like this, and it seems interesting. Anyone know anything about it?
> Regards,
> André

View raw message