cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Woody Rant
Date Sat, 22 Nov 2003 07:26:55 GMT
Le Samedi, 22 nov 2003, à 02:24 Europe/Zurich, Joerg Heinicke a écrit :

> ....IMO Woody should re-focus on form processing. Yes, we should
> provide a default view, but a simple one. If there must be used any JS
> as I see it for the calendar or the help popups then it should
> definitely be done the standard way (i.e. W3C DOM) and never using
> document.write(). We can show nice gimmicks, but not "everything
> that's possible"....

I haven't looked at the latest Woody stuff so I cannot comment on the
details, but I'm with you here: the "basic" samples should use as
little javascript as possible, it is always possible to provide other
"browser-picky" samples which show a nicer face using javascript.

The last thing we want is users thinking that Woody (soon Cocoon Forms,
remember) is dependent on client-side javascript, we know it is not the
case but I'd hate it if the samples conveyed the wrong idea.

Don't get me wrong, what's currently happening with Woody is great! But
as Cocoon is using javascript server-side already, we must be careful
to get the right message across.

-Bertrand