cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <jheini...@virbus.de>
Subject Re: [RT] Is flowscript polluting sitemap readability?
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2003 23:57:32 GMT
On 12.11.2003 23:01, Marc Portier wrote:

>>> Only a random thought: why there is no FlowScriptSelector calling the
>>> flow script and evaluating the String return type? This would remove
>>> the  sitemap calls flow script calls sitemap and is more like a
>>> function call. You will have only one pipeline, not two.
>>

> this sounds like the struts way of returning some action-exit-code?

Yes, similar. Struts actions return an ActionForward object, which can
either be mapped to a view (i.e. JSP) or can directly specify a view
(with the last part I am unsure).

> which admittedly makes more sense then the alternative suggestion of
> injecting the URI's into the script-function as parameters to read

Absolutely, because how to pass multiple selection URIs? Multiple
map:parameter's?

> but I couldn't help thinking: isn't that precisely the role the
> URI-string argument in sendPage{AndWait}("uri") is taking up?

Yes.

> I see how it adds to readability, but can't we see the sitemap's core
> function of siwtching on 'URI' as enough for doing this?
>
> this introduces an extra mapping layer that only seems to buy us the
> ability to reuse flowscripts-functions regardless of the changed
> URI-mapping on the server

"Only"?? This is the main reason (and why other people don't want to
enforce sendPage{AndWait}(), because they use flow script action-like).

> (hm, that does sound like a useful gain of a typical SoC operation, ah
> well, have to think some more)
>

>> Hmmmmm, hmmm, hmmm
>>
>> you are onto something here....
>>

> yep, I had that feeling already in Joerg's previous post ;-)

Thanks :-)

> (well, it's not a real secret that I've been struggling with how flow
> and sitemap are touching each other myself)

Ah, I'm not the only one.

>> Stefano, gone to the whiteboard
>
> -marc= (just animating the audience while Stefano is scetching...)

After the GT we know your capabilities in this area - you were great :-)

Joerg