cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Migrating to Avalon. Thoughts?
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:31:42 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> On 12 Nov 2003, at 15:31, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>>> a content repository is a place where you store semi-structured
>>> data, you version it, you add metadata and you query it... it has to
>>> scale O(1) with the number of nodes (not even o(n), that's too much)
>>> and allow the smallest granularity possible (potentially, down to
>>> the very DOM node). Plusses are: granular ACL, node linking,
>>> transactionality, obvservability.
>>>
>>> a component repository is a library of java components, a sort of
>>> CPAN/PEAR/apt-get for java.
>>>
>>> Can you do a component repository with a content repository? yes, of
>>> course.
>>>
>>> Can you do a content repository with a component repository? no and
>>> would even be silly to try to do so.
>>

>> Just one more variation to complete the picture - a service directory.
>

> Oh god. [sound of stefano banging his head on the table]

Take an asprin!

>> A content repository can be viewed as a service.
>

> Stephen, everything can be viewed as a service. Escalating
> abstractions will not make it any easier for me to have the features I
> need, rather the opposite.
>
>> A directory can be used to discover a service provision solution
>> (using for example a repository of component descriptions).
>> Component descriptions can reference artifacts in an content
>> repository.  A component implementation can also use a content
>> repository as part of its implementation. Etc., etc.  In this respect
>> - the ideas of a content repository and component repository are
>> synergistic.
>

> As I said, a component repository can be built with a content
> repository. The opposite is simply not true.

Umm, did I suggest anywhere that it was true?

> My point is: there is no need for slide to look at what avalon is doing.

What I was originally responding to was the note from Edison Too
referencing a lack of certain services/components in Avalon  - a subject
which is relevant to the threads over on Avalon concerning a component
repository.  My response to you comments was simply agreeing with your
point concerning content/component and noting the respective synergies.

Cheers, Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org