cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Migrating to Avalon. Thoughts?
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:31:10 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> On 12 Nov 2003, at 12:50, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>> Just a note to let you know that there are a number of
>> threads currently running over on the dev@avalon.apache.org
>> concerning the establishment of a component repository
>> project.  After reading your email I think that many of the
>> subjects you have addressed below are relevant to the things
>> the Avalon crew are currently debating.
>

> a content repository is a place where you store semi-structured data,
> you version it, you add metadata and you query it... it has to scale
> O(1) with the number of nodes (not even o(n), that's too much) and
> allow the smallest granularity possible (potentially, down to the very
> DOM node). Plusses are: granular ACL, node linking, transactionality,
> obvservability.
>
> a component repository is a library of java components, a sort of
> CPAN/PEAR/apt-get for java.
>
> Can you do a component repository with a content repository? yes, of
> course.
>
> Can you do a content repository with a component repository? no and
> would even be silly to try to do so.

Just one more variation to complete the picture - a service directory.

A content repository can be viewed as a service.  A directory can be
used to discover a service provision solution (using for example a
repository of component descriptions).  Component descriptions can
reference artifacts in an content repository.  A component
implementation can also use a content repository as part of its
implementation. Etc., etc.  In this respect - the ideas of a content
repository and component repository are synergistic.

Stephen.

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org