cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Migrating to Avalon. Thoughts?
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:50:05 GMT

Just a note to let you know that there are a number of
threads currently running over on the dev@avalon.apache.org
concerning the establishment of a component repository
project.  After reading your email I think that many of the
subjects you have addressed below are relevant to the things
the Avalon crew are currently debating.

Cheers, Steve.

Edison Too wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I agree with Stefano's observation that there is a need for a good content repository.
I've looked into Slide's code before and I can't help but wonder if it is a good idea for
Slide to be implemented using Avalon.

>The server core can be broken down into 3 blocks
>1. Content repository (store?)
>2. User management
>3. Access Control management
>These are very useful/essential component which are (AFAIK) strangely missing in the current
crop of Avalon Components/Services.

>Advantage of migrating :
>1. Reuse of Avalon components such as configuration/connections/pooling/logging etc.
>2. Deployable as a standalone or servlet using Fortress or Phoenix.
>3. If a Cache block comes along (from Cocoon maybe?) it can be reused in Slide to improve
performance.
>4. Attract more developers from the land of Avalon or Cocoon.
>I think it will open up a lot of possibilities. Think of it, with James, Slide, Cocoon,
interesting server apps can be built.

>I know it's not easy to switch and most developers dread such a big change especially
when r2.0 is in view. This is just a thought I feel worth discussing, especially when Stefano
says he will investing his time into Slide.

>I'm not an expert with Avalon, but I'm willing to invest some time if this the direction
Slide decide to pursue.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org