cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <>
Subject Re: Migrating to Avalon. Thoughts?
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:50:05 GMT

Just a note to let you know that there are a number of
threads currently running over on the
concerning the establishment of a component repository
project.  After reading your email I think that many of the
subjects you have addressed below are relevant to the things
the Avalon crew are currently debating.

Cheers, Steve.

Edison Too wrote:

>I agree with Stefano's observation that there is a need for a good content repository.
I've looked into Slide's code before and I can't help but wonder if it is a good idea for
Slide to be implemented using Avalon.
>The server core can be broken down into 3 blocks
>1. Content repository (store?)
>2. User management
>3. Access Control management
>These are very useful/essential component which are (AFAIK) strangely missing in the current
crop of Avalon Components/Services.
>Advantage of migrating :
>1. Reuse of Avalon components such as configuration/connections/pooling/logging etc.
>2. Deployable as a standalone or servlet using Fortress or Phoenix.
>3. If a Cache block comes along (from Cocoon maybe?) it can be reused in Slide to improve
>4. Attract more developers from the land of Avalon or Cocoon.
>I think it will open up a lot of possibilities. Think of it, with James, Slide, Cocoon,
interesting server apps can be built.
>I know it's not easy to switch and most developers dread such a big change especially
when r2.0 is in view. This is just a thought I feel worth discussing, especially when Stefano
says he will investing his time into Slide.
>I'm not an expert with Avalon, but I'm willing to invest some time if this the direction
Slide decide to pursue.
>Edison Too
>On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:02:00 +0100, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>[copying dev@cocoon because many people are in search for a serious versioned
>>content repository these days]
>>Hello everyone,
>>I find myself in the need for a serious WebDAV/DeltaV/DASL content repository
>>and after having searched land and sea and having tried all possible
>>combinations out there [pure mod_dav, catacomb and subversion], I decided to
>>use invest my effort in Slide, also because of the familiarity with the java
>>language compared to mod_dav which isn't really friendly for me]

Stephen J. McConnell

View raw message